Prospect Gardens Summer Time

Prospect Gardens Summer Time
Summer Scene

Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Cactus, Lemonade, Worms and Cherries


A marvelous Wisconsin summer day is fading into evening. The sun is still out and the sky remains almost cloudless. It's been a great day to be out gardening.

John delivered the Wisconsin cacti from the banks of the Wisconsin River. The Wisconsin runs through his property, which he inherited from his Dad.  John included  a bucket of  Wisconsin River Sand.  What a wonderful gift of sand and cacti.

Together we planted these gems while enjoying each each other's company. I felt happy as we planted and talked. John recalls that during his childhood, the bluffs overlooking the Wisconsin River were home for many of these cacti. It feels so right to have a sample of these Wisconsin natives in our garden.  I will patiently wait for the cacti to grow and bloom.

During these summer days, enterprising kids set up their lemonade stands along the gardens, as did William and his caretaker for the day. It was just after lunch when I noticed the pair setting up their stand. I was immediately offered a free drink because I was the gardener.  I was busy removing an aster plant from among the purple cone flowers. The aster's purple flowers add so much color during the Fall when other plants are almost dormant. However, the hearty aster can crowd out their neighbors.

William and his caretaker set up their table. The two enthusiastically called out "Get Your Lemonade" as they circled and almost danced around their stand. They attracted the little girl (holding the pitcher in the photo) and her family and several other path users. William lives nearby. A few summers ago I met William and his parents for the first time. William could hardly believe that I had the same first name as his Dad.

William sold his lemonade for twenty-five cents, a real deal. Ice included. At those prices, they sold out in no time. In contrast, during the late morning hours two brothers, older than William, charged 75 cents for a whole cup and 50 cents for a half cup.  No free lemonade for me.  While enjoying the cool drink, I asked if they had made the lemonade. They had not. The older brother explained that his Mother made the lemonade because she did not want a mess in her kitchen, but he added that he and his brother helped out. They were gone after I returned from lunch.

The Gardens and the Path also enticed three young boys, who I think were friends. They struck me as being eight or nine years old. The trio first attempted to wiggle into the storm sewer while I kept a cautious eye on them. I was relieved that the lattice covering the end of the storm drain prevented entry.

As I crossed the path to work on the south side of the gardens, one boy told me they were looking for earthworms. I showed them a spot with abundant worms. On my return to the north side, I noticed a stack of wiggling worms on the concrete pad.  They covered the worms with dirt after I told them to do so or the sun would hurt the worms. They also readily agreed to my offer to go home and get a container.  The boys gently placed the worms in the container between layers of dirt. One assured me that it would be alright to take them home because they often go fishing with his Dad. As they departed, I called out  "happy fishing" and one of the boys responded "happy gardening."

Indeed it was a happy day of gardening, plus it was a very productive day. Besides planting the cacti,  I re-seeded areas of the terrace along the curve where Prospect and Fox intersect. The grass had died because of us stacking plant waste from the gardens underneath the tree. We will now place the garden material in another area with little or no grass.

Barb and her Grandson J.P. came by.   J.P. was in his stroller and was initially somewhat shy. This disappeared when Barb asked if he wanted to help plant. So all three of us tossed lawn seed.

I ended my time at the Prospect Gardens with picking some cherries. All three trees had some to offer. Tomorrow morning I will enjoy this bounty with my breakfast.            

No comments:

Post a Comment