Prospect Gardens Summer Time

Prospect Gardens Summer Time
Summer Scene

Monday, June 8, 2015

Flower Factory

 Rolling thunder along with gentle rain  passed through on this now quiet evening. I finally made it to the "cathedral"  of nurseries, The Flower Factory.  It's located about 12 miles south of Madison just past Oregon.There is still open country between Oregon and Madison.

Worshiped for over an hour in the heat of the day. Temps were in the low 80s with a cooling breeze.

I loved wondering through the dozen different green houses while selecting the ten plants in the wagon. Seven are slated for the Prospect Gardens to replace those who did not survive  the winter.  A staff member was so helpful in locating one Poppy Mallow (Callirhoe Invoucrata) and in selecting six Gaillardia grand Arizona Zone. A Shasta Daisey and two oriental lilies are also in the wagon and will fill in a few holes in our backyard garden.

Notice the flower covered roof on the building which I think is the pump house.  There are several other unique gardens on the grounds including one featuring a model train and another a rock garden.  I think the train tracks are under repair because a large tree that it circled came down causing damage.

Several years ago friends, Ann and I would visit up to a least five greenhouse/nurseries throughout Dane County during a day long tour. We traveled in several cars forming a cavern and the Flower Factory was usually on the itinerary.  Its been several years since we stopped touring greenhouses. Our gardens have matured and we also have aged.  

I have special memories of visiting the Flower Factory during one of those ventures along with Jennifer (Jenn), the daughter of good friends, Jane and Gary.  Jane and Gary were most likely with the hostas. They have an award winning garden of hostas and are always on look out for that special one.

Jenn and I were causally strolling through the greenhouses on that sunny spring time day. I remarked that I selected plants if they spoke to me and a pink flowering one was indeed addressing me at that moment. Both of us shared a hearty laugh while I put the plant into my wagon. The beautiful soft blooms of the Summer Beauty Allium will once again speak to me sometime in early summer and long after it's cousins, the tall purple allium have disappeared.  I look forward to what they have to say.





   



No comments:

Post a Comment