Prospect Gardens Summer Time

Prospect Gardens Summer Time
Summer Scene

Monday, June 8, 2015

Replanting Peg's Memorial Garden

 As I mentioned in my last post, today I finally visited the Flower Factory, where I purchased plants to replace those that did not survive the winter.  Last year we created a small memorial garden for Peg Arnold. Peg was one of  the original gardeners and according to her husband Steve, the force behind his involvement. Steve wrote the grant that provided some city funds that helped launch the garden. I provided feedback and the rest is history.

Peg and Steve installed the very first plant (a forsythia) in the Prospect Gardens from their own garden. When Peg passed from cancer in the summer of 2013, friends donated funds to be used for the Prospect Gardens. My little committee of advisers decided that rather than use the funds for maintenance we would create a small garden which we did last summer.

The boulder was donated by a Regent Neighbor. It was in the trunk of my Honda Civic for a day before Claudia and I took it to the engraver. I nicked the back bumper while hoisting the small but heavy boulder into the trunk. No back injury and I didn't drop it. Just grazed the bumper while moving the boulder into the trunk.

Last summer, we planted three different plants and only one species (winecups) survived the winter.  A species of short coreopsis and another species that I can not recall right now, didn't make it.  The staff member from The Flower Factory thought maybe road salt killed off the coreopsis. I followed his recommendation to plant the salt tolerant Gaillardia. So we will see how this colorful dwarf blanked flower likes its new surroundings.May it thrive and delight those who pass by and who take notice.

We had enough funds to include two cherry trees. These two are thriving.  However, as I mentioned in an earlier post, the third and older cherry tree was under some stress. Ann and I consulted with staff of the Bruce Company. Disease was ruled out. The very knowledgeable but direct staff member thought last year's dry fall caused the leaves to drop early and that the trunk was somehow injured. Overall, she thought the tree was in good shape. But we will watch what happens over the summer and the fall.

Here's a view of the memorial garden after the planting. The surviving winecups have spread nicely and make a beautiful ground cover. They should bloom all summer.  In the background are purple cone flowers waiting to bloom. I may put in some yellow moon flowers (primrose) in the back and to the left.  I will dig them up from our backyard garden.

However, doing so will wait until at least tomorrow afternoon. Tomorrow, good friend and I will walk Picnic Point and then stop by Memorial Union for a cool drink and maybe lunch.

Time for a long walk and talk with a good friend. We no doubt will talk about my online course about early Buddhist text and applying the messages to everyday life. The second week of the 12 week course just started. I may say more in future posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment