Prospect Gardens Summer Time

Prospect Gardens Summer Time
Summer Scene

Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Busy day

Yesterday we received a gift of a perfect Wisconsin day. Clear blue skies, temps in the high 60s and a gentle breeze instead of  chilly weekend rains.  A busy day unfolded. Sandy arrived at 8:30 a.m to pick up her share of plants for the prairie garden at the intersection of Glenway. I packed up the remaining plants and tools into the ergonomically incorrect green plastic wheelbarrow.

I want one of those old fashion wheelbarrows with wood handles. One that has you grab the handles, pull up and push rather than pull as I do with my low to the ground green monstrosity. My neighbor has an old steel wheeled wheelbarrow that once you get it rolling really moves smoothly.  I love the sound of the steel wheel against the concrete sidewalk. And then there is Ken and Diane who at last count had at least four wheelbarrows.Ken is one of our regular volunteers.

Joyce
Well enough about wheelbarrows. Joyce, Ann and I put in, according to Ann's count, sixty-two plants in an area west of the arborvitaes that was cleared out last fall. Put who's counting when you have a perfect Wisconsin day and putting prairie plants into Wisconsin dirt.

Planting in the gardens is relaxing and especially when individuals such as Joyce pitch in.  She has been a stalwart  volunteer.  Joyce lives in the Regent Neighborhood in a beautiful older home.  Joyce has been painstakingly refinishing the woodwork which includes ceiling beams. 

I would have included a picture of Ann, but she declined. She too has been a loyal volunteer after initially being somewhat reluctant.  I'm in my gardening uniform with shirt, pants and boots from Fleet and Farm. Shovel by Ace Hardware. Note the blue sky.

Me: Jake

Plants Laid Out Waiting to Be Dug In

Empty Containers

A Completed Area



No comments:

Post a Comment