Prospect Gardens Summer Time

Prospect Gardens Summer Time
Summer Scene

Thursday, May 14, 2015

Weeding and Shoring Up The Enbankment

A cool spring day perfect for hard work.  Nearly two hours devoted to weeding and shoring up an embankment that will be planted at the end of the month. As I pulled weeds with their deep penetrating roots, I became concerned about erosion before the new plants were installed and while they were developing roots.  Weeds have a purpose. They were stabilizing and holding the soil.

So I did some shoring up of the embankment with available materials, all located close by.  No need to run to Home Depot. 

The result is crude and perhaps an example of form following function. As the new grasses and flowers mature the rocks, bricks and pavers will be less noticeable.

While working I thought of my Grandfather Leo and Grandmother Julia. During the first decade of the 20th century the couple cleared land of brush and stumps on the first forty acres of our family farm. The farm eventually expanded to 120 acres.

I was born and lived on the family farm until I was 18.  The farm was located south of Pulaski Wisconsin. In June of 1899, Grandpa Leo, less than a month after marrying Grandma Julia, purchased the original 40 acres from his Father-in-law Jacob Rudnick for $300.00.  My father Anton was their only child. In contrast,  he fathered 14 children.

Grandma Julia did more than housework. She also cleared the land. What back breaking work that must have been for the couple. Grandma Julia did field work throughout her life. According to my sister Barbara, Grandma could outwork any man and according to my brother Leo, Grandma could sew you a pair of overalls or a dress in thirty minutes.

 I loved clearing the embankment of weeds. Digging out the roots freed my mind while providing exercise. No need to go to the gym or for a bike ride.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment