Prospect Gardens Summer Time

Prospect Gardens Summer Time
Summer Scene

Tuesday, May 15, 2018

Equanimity and Prospect Gardens

Sun and blue skies are with us once again after several days of rain. Equanimity is on my mind.  In the Buddhist tradition, equanimity is one of the four heavenly abodes or benevolent states of mind. The others are friendliness, compassion and joy. These heavenly abodes contribute to a sense that heaven is nowhere else but right here on this earth. Equanimity, often referred to as "balance" in Buddhist teaching, is defined in Webster's dictionary as "mental calmness, composure, and evenness of temper, especially in a difficult situation."  Wendell Barry's poem "The Peace of Wild Things" exemplifies equanimity.

When despair for the world grows in me
and I wake in the night at the least sound
in fear of what my life and my children’s lives may be,
I go and lie down where the wood drake
rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
I come into the peace of wild things
who do not tax their lives with forethoughts
of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
And I feel above me the day-blind stars
waiting with their light. For a time

I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.

I experienced equanimity as Ann, neighbors and I tended the Prospect Gardens on several days from May 5th and through yesterday, May 14th. As I noted in my last blog entry one of the gardening challenges (not quite despair) is the invasion of Bishop's weeds coupled with rip-rock.  I am happy to report that my relationship with Bishop's Weed has attained a level of balance. 
Several new beds now exist as a result of removing rocks and filling in with fresh black dirt. These are relatively free of Bishop's Weed.  I say "relative"  because one never knows if all the roots have been removed. Bishops Weed can regrow from severed roots, so a new crop may arise. Meanwhile, I celebrate the spaciousness of my mind regarding the future of Bishops Weed while enjoying the stark beauty of the new beds.  On May 26th the beds will be replanted.  
These two beds were especially challenging. Bishops Weeds covered the area with roots deep into the earth and burrowing underneath surrounding rocks.  

Work involved removing rocks and dismantling and then resembling the terrace wall dividing the two beds. I started at nine and finished at about 2:30 pm on May 8th. As I worked I had little sense of passing time while enjoying breaks for conversations with several neighbors who were passing by.  Dianne, a neighbor, provided welcoming bottles of cool water. I look forward to the upcoming replanting.  I suspend expectations about the eventual outcome once these beds are replanted . Gardens have their own way.

On May 5th, several neighbors joined Ann and I.  Here's a few pictures revealing their hard work, generosity and our comradery. 

 Here's Ann N. taking a stand as she trims some shrubs.  Thanks Ann for once again joining the crew. Your expertise, humor and energy contributed to equanimity.
 Steve and Tom tackling the weeds around, in and above the raspberry patch. I overhead a pleasant discussion between the two as they weeded. Thanks Steve and Tom.  This was Tom's first visit.












Tom is a member of a small group from our church, First Unitarian Society, that I also belong to. Our little group meets twice a month with a focus on meditation and Buddhism.

Tom and I started reading Robert Wright's "Why Buddhism is True: The Science and Philosophy of Meditation and Enlightenment."  We met at Colectivo to discuss what we read and other topics not related to the book that emerged during our enjoyable discussion.

Here's Hanns preparing to tackle Bishops Weed in this area of the gardens.  Thanks, Hanns for helping out.  I enjoyed his sense of humor, which is indicated in this picture.  Here he is acting out plunging his hand spade toward the patch of weeds.
Here's most of the crew: Steve, me, Tom and Laura and Ann N. Not pictured is Ann B., Hanns and Bob affectionately knows as the "mulch king."  We are enjoying Ann's homemade Toffee Squares. Thanks Ann B. for the delicious treat and for your hard work in the Gardens.

Laura cleaned out the overgrown strawberry patch. Thanks Laura. The weeds survived the winter while only 12 strawberry plants made it into spring.  I will be refurbishing the bed with strawberry plants from a friend... another Ann... and her thriving gardens. (She will be distinguished as Ann V.)

On  May 14th, Ann B., Bob and I rescued and transplanted grasses from the site of the nearby former Associated Bank. The bank moved to the first floor of a new apartment building several blocks further east on Monroe Street.


Following the recent Madison trend, another apartment building with 60 units and businesses on the first floor will rise on the site. Demolition of the bank we used since moving to Madison in 1986 is now underway.

Here's Bob digging up the grasses.  A special thank you for coming out on a wet Monday morning. The site has other wonderful plants that wait their fate.  My urge to rescue more is high while being realistic that my time is limited.  I also realize that Prospect Gardens don't need the type of  potentially available plants.



Here's the new home for most of the transplanted grasses. They will grow to be  least four tall and hopefully spread. I look forward to their growth. They should also help stabilize the site and prevent erosion. Go to it grasses!










I end with two pictures that contributed to the mental state of equanimity that gardening  enhances. The Gardens' Red Bud and Cherry trees are blooming sending out beauty in all directions. Their beauty and serenity quiets the mind.

May you and all being everywhere, both the two legged and four legged kind, experience equanimity and feel heaven on earth as spring continues to unfold.




Blessed Be. Shalom. Amen.
















 

No comments:

Post a Comment