Prospect Gardens Summer Time

Prospect Gardens Summer Time
Summer Scene

Sunday, May 27, 2018

Bucky, Memories and Summer Heat

It's 91 degrees outside according to my smart phone app and high temps will continue through Tuesday. I thought I would first mention the 85 Bucky statutes situated throughout the Madison area. I have not seen all 85 and so far these are my two favorites.

Here's "One Leg Up" Bucky on the Library Mall and in front of the 60-year-old Hagenah Fountain. This one reflects the tradition of periodically placing thousands of flamingos on nearby Bascom Hill. The fountain is at the intersection of concrete pathways between Memorial Library and the Wisconsin Historical Society, and across the street from Memorial Union. The Library and the State Historical Society are still some of my favorite buildings as they were when I was a UW student during the 1960s.  Ann and I spent a few hours Friday visiting the nearby new Alumni Park. A stunning space that commemorates the contributions of alumni. A must see when you visit Madison.

Here's "Blooming Bucky" located on Henry Mall. Ag Hall is in the background. Wonder if "Blooming Bucky" would like to relocate to Prospect Gardens? Not going to happen.

My office before retiring was in a building to Bucky's left  overlooking the Mall. I loved the eight years when I led the evaluation unit of the Environmental Resources Center.  I learned how to phrase survey questions asking farmers about manure spreading behaviors, a very touchy subject for them.

Often from Spring through Fall around noon, I walked through Henry Mall on my way to Allen Centennial Gardens, one of my favorite campus gardens. I took refuge while enjoying lunch in the splendors of the gardens. Sometimes, I would stop in nearby Babcock Hall for ice cream or frozen yogurt.  Another must stop for anybody visiting Madison.


Enough of this nostalgia. Today's work session started early with comfortable temperatures and tolerable humidity. At about 8:00am, and on the way to the Gardens we stopped at Aileen's nearby home to dig up Purple Cone flowers. Thanks Aileen for this gift.  This last winter was tough on these usually hardy and showy prairie plants. Aileen's donation replaced some Purple Cones that failed to survive.

Surviving, and in bloom are the Columbines, pictured here. These are the offspring of the first Columbines planted nine years ago.  May they continue to thrive as the years slip by. However, they will quickly fade away because of the impending 90 degree days.  "August like" heat is with us.


 Also, among the winter survivors are these Prairie Smoke. These were planted about four years ago. The charming, nodding pink flowers give rise to feathery, smoky-pink seed heads that decorate the plants into mid-summer.

A neighbor, Percy, donated several clumps of the originals. Most disappeared except for this one. Once again these Gardens confirm the unpredictability of gardening and of life itself. Change and impermanence, paradoxically, are the constants of life.

These flowers remind me of how my Grandma Julia was a gifted flower and vegetable gardener.  Peonies and iris were just a few of her favorites. At this time of the year, Grandma Julia would be preparing the ground for her large vegetable and fruit garden.  Her garden fed our large family well into the winter.

Here is today's crew.  Ann my wife took the picture and once again provided the homemade treat, Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Bars. We just finished enjoying these goodies. Thanks Ann for the treat and your hard work in the hot sun.  Pictured on the first step starting on the left is Mulch King Bob, Eli, me, and in the back starting on the left are Steve, Eric, and Laura.

Eli is finishing seventh grade and is already developing a fondness for gardening.  He told me he will be attending a gardening camp this summer.  Eli joining today's crew confirms the passage of time. I recall baby Eli being carried by his father, John,  in our old neighborhood.

Eric is an Americorp member at Madison's James Madison Memorial High School.  When I was his age, I completed a teacher practicum in 1968 at Memorial. Memorial just opened that year and I was assigned to a senior Economics course.  I only had one college level econ course and remember stumbling through a lesson that included the "demand curve."  Those seniors tolerated my ignorance.   
 While the crew weeded I spent time preparing and planting beds. A special "thank you" to all for diligently pulling overgrown and unwanted tall plants.

Plants pictured here are: Black-eyed Susan, Lavender Hyssop, Lance-leaf Coreopsis, Wild Columbine and Prairie Dropseed. Many of these still remain to be placed in the Gardens.   Perhaps on Monday, I will plant them. The prediction of 96 degree temperature means getting up early to plant in the cooler morning.  Heavy mulching and frequent watering will be required.


 Here's the before planting picture of two beds. Before planting much time was spent on the removal of roots and rhizomes of the dreaded Bishops Weed.  Rest assured, that despite my persistence, some still remain and will rise again.
Here's the planted and mulched beds.  Mulch King Bob assisted along with Steve. Now I await the magic of Mother Nature with the assistance of vigilant me. These will need watering as this summer heat continues.

So another Memorial Day is just about here. Images from past Memorial days when I was growing up near Pulaski, Wisconsin flood my mind. World War Two vets from Pulaski's American Legion sold red paper poppies during the week before Memorial Day. On the appointed day, we made the six mile car trip into the nearby village. One year we made the trip in a very rusted out 1954 Chevy.

We silently watched the somber parade of American Legionnaires including members of the Women's Auxiliary dressed in white uniforms, white stockings, white shoes and with blue capes and white nurse-like caps.  The high school band led the parade.

The parade made its way to the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary cemetery. We followed. Flags on the veterans' graves fluttered in the warm breeze as a smaller contingent of Legionnaires assembled. The appointed one played Taps. The melancholy sound waffled over the hushed assembly. A gun salute followed. Sometimes, the shots would not be synchronized because one of the vets responsible for the salute was slow on the trigger. He pulled the trigger after the others fired. Nobody seemed to mind that the salute was imperfect. At least nobody laughed, that I can recall.

I just Googled to learn if  Pulaski still has a Memorial Day Parade. Sad to say that it seems like there is no parade.  However, the 40th annual Polka Days, attracting thousands,will again be held from July 19th through the 22nd, my birthday.  I most likely will not be one among the thousands who come from throughout the Midwest.  Although sometimes I am tempted to go because when I was young I loved to polka. However, the July heat is a disincentive to attendance. Also, I like celebrating my birthday with a play at the outdoor's American Players Theater in Spring Green. Oh, the choices I have before me.

No comments:

Post a Comment