Prospect Gardens Summer Time

Prospect Gardens Summer Time
Summer Scene

Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Perfect and Peaceful Day

I search for words to describe today and how the sun, blue skies and mild wind affected me and revealed itself in the Prospect Gardens. Cliches such as "perfect day" and "peaceful" come to mind and yet these seem inadequate to describe today.  Maybe what I overheard the mail carrier exclaim is a slightly better: "Can you believe this is November 3rd?"


This morning's leisurely bike ride west on the Southwest Commuter Path to the Badger State Trail, and almost to Paoli, couldn't have been better. Sun and a light breeze on the outbound and return trip of nearly 20 miles were enjoyed.  I pedaled at a moderate to slow speed, cherishing the elements of this splendid day.

Along the way and once I crossed into Fitchburg, I stopped to read the text making up the newly installed trail signage along what is now identified as part of the Fitchburg Agriculture Route (FAR). FAR tells the story of Fitchburg's past and present, a story in which farming is important. I am a farm boy at heart, born on a 120 acre farm near Pulaski, Wisconsin and farmed until my senior year of high school (1962), when the farm was sold.

In retrospect, this morning's bike path was a historical tour of my backyard.  I learned that within its city limits Fitchburg (as of 2010) has approximately 11,220 acres in crops and pasture. Farming and farm land is still obvious along the path, illustrating the 21st century phenomena of rural and urban being blended together and existing side-by-side.


The Stoner Prairie, named after the Stoner Family and early settlers from the late 18th century, is still being farmed. According to the signage, the prairie is made up of the richest and most productive soils in the United Stated. Until today, I never knew its name. The dried corn rustled in the gentle wind waiting to be harvested as I made my way west, feeling the gentle wind on my face.
 
I also learned about the one room schoolhouse that closed in 1965 and named after the Stoner family. I  attended a one room schoolhouse near Pulaski, Wisconsin, completing the first six grades before it was closed in 1956.  Both schools closed due to the consolidation movement, an effort to reform rural education based on urban schools. The Stoner School, now a neat and tidy home, is about 2 tenth of a mile west on Vroom Road. My old schoolhouse, Polandi, is also now a home. I could not resist leaving the bike path and traveling the short distance up the grade to see the Stoner school.

I encourage you to bike the FAR and learn more about the history of Fitchburg and the surrounding area. On the way back home and as I peddled up the bike ramp to our street, I noticed how the sun reflected off the trees ahead of me. After a light lunch, I returned attempting to capture the splendor of what I had witnessed.  The remaining three pictures are also an inadequate substitute for what I saw and the impressions made in my mind.











This Japanese Sumac has almost lost all of its foliage, which is unusual. It's bare branches and deep red seed pods stand out against the blue sky.  I'm making a note of this condition. Perhaps a good pruning during the early spring is required.
  



     
A scene looking toward the east.  The red and green foliage in the forefront of the picture is Forsythia. Can you believe, this six foot plant was once only about a foot tall. Without yearly pruning this plant would be taller.

In the early spring, the Forsythia will announce the new season with it's brilliant yellow flowers. However, before then it will face the cold winds of winter. Spring will surely arrive and the Forsythia will once again burst with yellow blooms.







This scene is on the Regent side of the Gardens and towards the west.  Note another Japanese Sumac in the forefront of the picture. This one still has almost its foliage, turning into the characteristic golden yellow; a very healthy plant.


A few years ago, we thought we lost this one due to how the city pushed snow into the Gardens. The force of the snow being pushed severed the plant which proved to be just exactly what it needed. Any day now we will put up the orange plastic snow fences that signals the plowers to place the snow east of this section of the garden.

Tomorrow's forecast  is for more of the same warm weather followed on Thursday by the inevitable rain and cold of  November.  This indeed is a season of transition. My winter mittens, hats and scarfs have found their way from the upstairs guest bedroom closet to the front foyer. Tomorrow they will remain there.


I am anticipating a walk in the nearby UW Arboretum. I will check out the forest while walking through the fallen leaves. The rustling sound of dried leaves is one of the pleasures of late fall.  

     

No comments:

Post a Comment