Prospect Gardens Summer Time

Prospect Gardens Summer Time
Summer Scene

Saturday, November 14, 2015

Memories and Final Comunity Work Session

This morning we completed final preparations of the Prospect Gardens for winter and the next season. Besides myself, Ann, Ken, Laura and Bob (known as the Mulch King) worked diligently under a warm fall sun.  We weeded, cut back plants and put up snow fences. Oh yes, we took a break and enjoyed Ann's homemade lemon bars. A great treat made from a recipe of a cookbook Ann and I received as a wedding present: "Still Cooking in Pulaski." This Wisconsin village near Green Bay is my hometown.

I was born on a farm about six miles south of Pulaski, and lived and worked on that farm until I graduated from high school in 1962.  In April of that year, my Mother sold the farm and moved into the village, and as they say, the rest is history.

My paternal grandmother(who lived with us)was a great gardener; both flowers and vegetables. My mother(who had 14 children) was the cook, and canned vegetables from the garden and the fruit from our orchards. She also purchased and canned peaches, and Door County cherries. Ma canned hundreds of quarts, all stored in the basement. Also stored in the basement were a 5 foot mason crock of sauerkraut, a smaller crock of salt brine pickles, mounds of potatoes, a pile of carrots and pumpkins and squash.  This was our food supply until the next season.

Along with the food cache was a large wood pile and a pile of coal to keep us warm during the cold winter months. Ma kept those wood stoves fed 24/7.

Back to today. Here are seven pictures of today's crew.   Now we wait patiently for a snow cover to protect the plants.

 Here's Ken weeding the raspberry patch. A few raspberries were still available. I found raspberries further west of the Gardens and on the side of the path while walking yesterday. The berries tasted so sweet while being cold in my mouth. A wonderful November treat. Thanks Ken for you diligent work today and throughout the season.











 Here's Bob demonstrating his abilities with the pruning shears. We refer to Bob, as the Mulching King, because he likes to mulch and is good at it. I hasten to add his skills with the pruning shears may add another title; perhaps "Prince of Shears"?


Thanks Bob. I greatly appreciate your enthusiasm and continued participation. You are becoming a gardener's gardener. Mulch season will be here before we know it.






 Laura is busy cutting back the day lilies as she flashes that warm smile. Notice the angle she is working at. Many parts of the Gardens are on slopes, which adds an additional challenge and strain to gardening.

Thanks Laura for your stamina, laughter and dedication . I always enjoy our bantering.







Here is me pounding a steal post for the orange snow fence that stretches across a space on the Regent side and protects the Gardens from over zealous snow plowers. Bob noted my blaze orange windbreaker and wondered if I was expecting to go dear hunting.

Nope, not a dear hunter.  The windbreaker is from my running days when I ran after work and in the dark. I haven't run in years. Now I go to the Shell at Camp Randall during the winter months.





 Four of the crew in front of the installed snow fence and on the Dudgeon Monroe side of the gardens. Notice, Ken, Bob and I are wearing  our Southwest Path Stewards t-shirts. Come join us next season and you too may receive one of these coveted Madison iconic shirts.








 Ann showing a packet holding one of her delicious lemon bars. She always makes a treat. Bob says he volunteers primarily because of Ann's treats. In Bob's case, the way to his volunteering  is definitely through his taste buds.

Thanks Ann for your generosity and for your steady willingness to pitch in. Ann enjoys sweeping and removing leaves and other debris from the ramps, making them safer for all bikers. She weeds too, but wants me around to make sure she isn't pulling up plants !
 Finally, here's Ann and I enjoying the end of the 2015 season. It's been wonderful working with neighbors throughout the six year history of Prospect Gardens. Thanks to all who have participated this year. A special thank you to Joyce who couldn't make it today, and to Claudia and Steve for all their work during this season also.

I look forward to next year as well as the upcoming winter months.  During the winter months, I will continue posting blog entries as the Gardens rest, and the plants sink deeper roots for the 2016 season.

A joyful Thanksgiving to all.







  

No comments:

Post a Comment