Prospect Gardens Summer Time

Prospect Gardens Summer Time
Summer Scene

Thursday, October 4, 2018

A Prayer and Preparations

Tonight, October 3rd, the temperatures will drop into the high 40's after a balmy eighty degree day and rain will return. An unsual day weather wise.  Another reminder that climate change is a reality.  Here are pictures of Asters and Bottle Gentian from a few weeks ago when Prospect Gardens were still alive with color.









These two purple gems reminds me of Ronald Wallace's poem "Prayer for Flowers."  Wallace is the Felix Pollak Professor of Poetry at the University of Wisconsin-Madison.  He also has a forty acre farm in Bear Valley, which is in Richland County. This poem is from his 2003 book "Long for This World."

Prayer for Flowers

Show me the disguises of coral root 
That I may go unnoticed among enemies.
the tenacity of columbine
that might thrive in the unlikely place.

Teach me to climb higher than envy,
to trust my own colorful seasons. 
Let the wind move me; let me keep my roots.

Like a pitcher plant, let me store up rain 
against the dry season, surviving with patience 
whatever comes along. 
Show me the wind's song through lupine
that my blue days may be filled with music.

Teach me the persistent delicacy of glacier lilies
that I might endure winter's cold, heavy foot. 
And, at the end time, 
neither stiff-lipped nor trembling, 
let me go up, like bear grass, 
in a puff of smoke.

Yes indeed, the Gardens and we Madisonians will once again face "winter's cold, heavy foot." Living in an apartment greatly reduces winter's heaviness. Somebody else is now responsibile for snow shoveling. Although occassionally I do miss "Snow Commander", the red Toro snowblower, I used to clear out our front sidewalk and our neighbors. Now I just let these thoughts pass and return to the comforts of home.

October signals drastic changes in Prospect Gardens as plants turn brown and blooms turn to seeds.  October also involves preparing the Gardens for the inevitable winter.

On September 29th, a crew of nine, counting myself and my wife, Ann, begin cutting back plants. I'm the guy with the hat and sunglasses in the front row. To my left is Jessica, and to my immediate right is Joyce and Ann N. Laura and Hanns are in the back row. Hanns could be exclaiming about Ann's homemade treat, rum bars.  Yum.

Gary who joined us for a short while before going to work is not pictured. Neither is Percy who joined us later.

Thanks to all of you. I so enjoyed sharing the day with you all.  Special thanks to Percy for the advice regarding the two cherry trees. The trees need pruning and the lower branches are weighted down so the trees have a rounded appearance, and plenty of air space. A lot of air space helps prevent disease.

Here's Hanns pausing before cutting down the tall Michigan Daisies and other plants on the Regent side of the Gardens. Hanns said that he really liked this work session becasue he didn't need to be concerned about telling the difference between weeds and desirable plants. He commented that it was like a Fall clearance sale with everthing going.

 Joyce and Hanns chatting during a brief break from their labors. We always blend talk and work, catching up on our lives. The wind had a chill as indicated by Joyce's clothes.


We ended about 1pm with another large pile of plant material awaiting pick-up by a city crew.  While we cleaned out a substantial section of the Gardens, more needs to be done so the Gardens can "endure winter's cold, heavy foot."

We will resume the winter preparation on October 13th.  If you are in the Madison area, please join us.  Once again, we will share neighborliness, a homemade treat, and hopefully enjoy a sunny day.  Your time and generosity will be greatly appreciated.


No comments:

Post a Comment