Prospect Gardens Summer Time

Prospect Gardens Summer Time
Summer Scene

Friday, July 1, 2016

Raspberries and Little Girls

 It's summer and raspberry picking time at the Prospect Gardens. Here's some green ones waiting to be be ripened.  When the Gardens were first developed nearly seven years ago, I did not favor a raspberry patch; concerned about how they can spread and take over. I reluctantly agreed with the stipulation that we find a "raspberry czar", who would lovingly care for the patch.  No czar came forward. However, luscious berries appear every summer and a fall crop provides berries through September and sometimes early October. I am so happy that my initial resistance gave way and I heeded the advice of those who wanted a patch.
 A few days ago, I picked a plastic dish full of ripe berries and enjoyed the bounty with my breakfast cereal.  Oh the joys of  warm Wisconsin summer days and raspberries. The black colored round berries intermingled with the raspberries are, I think, in the choke cherry family or maybe gooseberry family. Some folks say these berries have a bitter taste. I like them with cereal because of their refreshing after taste; sort of like a zing, if you know what I mean.      
The wonderful thing about the raspberry patch is how it attracts people, such as this little girl from the Regent neighborhood.  I spotted her, along with her father and three other children, a few days ago after I took the path home from cashing a check at our neighborhood bank. One of the little girls was celebrating her birthday and collected a small baggie of raspberries that she was taking home with her. She was so delighted with her harvest.

More neighbors and users of the path will certainly enjoy the raspberries.  There is more than enough for all of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment