Prospect Gardens Summer Time

Prospect Gardens Summer Time
Summer Scene

Monday, December 28, 2015

Second Snow Fall and a Walk

It's been nearly 70 days since our last snowfall. Madison received from 4 to 7 inches depending on location.  I would guess our neighborhood had between 4 and 5 inches. I cleared the driveway and sidewalks in mid-morning with the Snow Commander snow blower. Tomorrow morning I will once again start-up the Commander.  A mixture of gas and oil powers the Commander. I am sorry to say the engine emits fumes, causing me to smell like a refinery after the job is done.  I wear a special outfit, which  includes a heavy hooded cloth coat purchased years ago from the old Burlington Coat Factory, once located on Odana. 

After I finished, I decided to visit the Gardens and go for a walk. I love walking in a winter snowstorm. I bought myself a Fitbit for Christmas. One of the cheaper ones that you clip to your clothes. Fitbit has assigned me the goal of 10,000 steps a day.  I have no idea how the number was calculated. Anyhow, the assigned goal was an additional incentive to head West on the path.

A combination of sleet, snow and freezing rain fell as I approached the
Gardens. As expected, the Gardens were blanketed with snow. Plows already removed some the snow from the path leaving about an inch of newly falling snow covering the path. Before walking West, I looked around and here are a few scenes from the Gardens on this winter day.

The cherry tree in the middle of the picture is in dormancy with it's roots now protected with snow.  The plants in the foreground are remnants of Purple Cones.  The orange snow fence waits for more snow while I am hoping it signals city plowers to stick snow to the right.  I am optimistic that the fence will serve its purpose, since this is the third year we put up snow fences.    
 Here is what remains of the once green wispy grasses that waved in the warm summer breezes. I imagine, like me, they are enjoying the peace and solitude of a winter day. Winter offers so many opportunities to turn inward or to curl up with a book.  My daughter, Emily, gave me Jim Shapiro's "The Year of Lear: Shakespeare in 1606" for Christmas.  I am enjoying this book that combines literary analysis and historical insights of what is often considered Shakespeare's most creative year. In late spring, I completed a great online course focusing on several of Shakespeare's plays, but not King Lear.
Here is a silhouette of Bee Balm against the mural. The mural features stencils of individuals using the path. Today I witnessed bikers with bikes having fat balloon tires made for the snow, walkers like myself walking alone, people walking their dogs, joggers, and of course, cross country skiers.  Despite the snow, sleet and rain,  it seemed like we were all out enjoying ourselves. For me, the elements added to the enjoyment.

Eventually, I made my way to Glenway Street and turned around to head home.  As I turned to head home, I felt the full effect of the strong East wind and the pallets of ice against my face. I readjusted the hood on my jacket, pulling it more over my head and tightened the two straps, creating a slit for viewing the snowy world as I continued my homeward trek.  

The storm outside has subsided as bedtime approaches.  I will turn off the Christmas tree lights and the electric candles in most of our house's windows before retiring. Maybe I will read a chapter about Shakespeare and his best year. 

Oh yes, the Fitbit informs me that I made my goal:  10,416 steps or 4.97 miles to be exact. Today, I also burned 2,297 calories and climbed the equivalent of 39 floors. Now what do I do with this information?
Eat another cookie?  

No comments:

Post a Comment